Going to the irs.gov website to print and mail the Business name change letter form 8822-B will take weeks to be updated, when you can have this done in minutes if you just call the IRS.
When you get connected to a rep, there are a list of questions they will ask you. They are listed down below. Please look at them, write down all of this info, and have it ready before calling the IRS. If you do not have the information or get it wrong while speaking to the Rep, the may possibly think you are scamming. It happens way more often than you think. If you stay ready, you don’t have to get ready.
- DO NOT CALL THIS LINE if you do not have a Business. You are wasting your time and others
- This is the direct number to the IRS Business Department (800) 829-4933
- Operation Hours are Monday-Friday 7am-7pm est.
- I recommend you get up early and call exactly at 7am est. If not, this process could take up to an hour or longer depending on what day or time you call. It’s still worth it, just have a charged battery, and/or charger with you.
- Listen to each Automated option before pressing: 1, 1, then 3
When connected to a Rep: they will introduce themselves, and what you need assistance with.
Say this exact prompt: " I do not remember my Tax ID or EIN#, and I need it for my bank."
The rep will ask you for the following:
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Personal Social Security Number
- Contact Number (for the business)
- Current Business Address - after you give the the address (at this point say this exact prompt: "my business address and/or business contact is outdated can I update this now with you? The Rep will say yes)
- Name of Business
- The Month and Year your Business was established (it's on your EIN document, NOT the year you registered your business entity)
- Is your Business a single member or multi member?
- What is your position in the company (ex: CEO or whatever position your put on your EIN document).
- You may or may not be placed on a brief hold. When they come back they will ask you for the updated Business Address and/or Contact Number (be ready to give it to them). They will also ask you what type of contact number it is (ex: mobile or work line, DO NOT say home)
- the rep will ask do you if you would like to write down your (ein#) or have it mailed or fax. If you are at your banking institution you can have it faxed immediately. If not, have it mailed to the updated address you gave them. You’ll receive it in 10-14 business days.
BONUS TIP: having the wrong address can prevent you from receiving certain funding for your business. If you are using a personal address, you won’t be protected if someone decides to sue you. They can come after your business and personal funds.
If this was helpful please leave a comment below and share this information.